Why does my Garage Door Open and Close By Itself?
Phantom operation of garage doors is when the garage door makes random operation, be it
closing or opening without any instructional operation from the remote or the wall button.
Garage doors are usually opened by a remote that usually activates the motorized trolley. The
system uses a signal that will activate the electric motor when the remote button is pressed. The electric motor has a track and pulley machine system that opens and closes the garage door. Just like any machine the garage door can experience mechanical problems.
At times the door will open and close without anyone using the garage remote control. This will be a great home concern to any home owner, especially if this happens when you are away.
Older transmitters have 6-12 manual switches called DIP switch. New garage door openers capture the signal digitally.
In most cases the cause for your opener having a will of its own is a faulty logic board. The logic board (or Circuit board) is the “brain” of the opener. A faulty board will sometime cause the door to open or close voluntarily.
Other mechanisms can also cause the ghost movements by the garage door opener. These mechanisms include:
· Shorts in the wall button or on one of the transmitters. Shorts in the transmitters will send signals to the receiver sensor.
· Wrong wiring of the wall button or the transmitters.
· Malfunction on the garage door remote. The remote will be sending random signals to opener.
The batteries in the garage remote are old and damaging the remote.
· Radio interferences can send frequency that will affect the functionality of the garage door. These happen if one stays near a radio tower or a radio station. Police radios and
CB radios can also cause these radio interferences.
· Similar frequency by equipment operating in a military camp. This only happens to those
living near military camps. The frequency will make the garage door to close and open
· Another uncommon reason can be that someone else has your frequency or code. It could
be that a neighbor had recently installed a modern garage and by default the frequency he
uses is similar to yours.
· If there is a power surge in your area, then this can be also another cause for the garage
door closing and opening on its own. The power surge can damage the electronics that
are in the transmitter.
· Leaving the garage door remote in the kitchen junk drawer can also make the garage door
to close and open randomly.
When this malfunction occurs, it is advised for one to take the following precautionary measures
in order to maintain the ultimate safety of their belongings and home:
· Troubleshooting the garage door by removing the batteries from the remote or replacing
the batteries with new ones i.e. if the batteries are worn out.
· Removing the wall button from the wall and check for loose wires
· Check wiring to logic board and look for any exposed or loose wires
· Replacing the wires if there is a shot in the transmitters or the wall button.
· Clearing the memory from your opener and reprograming the remnotes. This will esspecially help in cases where your neighbors might have
their remotes set to the same frequency
If the problem persists then it’s advisable to seek the services of C and M garage Doors
repair man, he will be able to diagnose the source of the problem and provide a way to repair it.